Wednesday, November 2, 2011

One of the 99%... unfortunately

I’m unemployed and collecting UI benefits. I’m in favor of the Occupy movement, and if I had more courage, I would go join one of them, probably in Philly. I’m appalled what’s going on with petroleum. I’m sick of the working man taking on an unfair share of the tax burden.I don't live beyond my means.

I’m one of the 99%.

This does not mean that the world owes me a living, or that anyone has to meet me halfway on anything. I have my place in the world, and if I want more, I know I have to earn it. No one has disputed that.

But when mortgages are sold to people who can’t pay, there is some responsibility to bear by the salesman. Salesmen are paid to talk people into buying. It’s their job. When they sell something that they know the customer can’t sustain, for the sake of the almighty profit (or to keep on getting subsidies), there is something wrong. They have done something wrong. I’m sorry, but it’s just the truth.

There are those who say if you don’t keep your guard up all the time, always make good investments and always spend wisely, you deserve what you get. But the majority of people don’t have their guard up all the time. They don’t always make good investments. They don’t always spend wisely. Truth be told, the majority of people are undereducated in such things. When a nation has a problem like this, you can’t just say “screw ‘em.” It creates a problem for everyone.

And it doesn’t mean that these people want something for nothing. It just means that they are sick and tired of our great nation catering to the rich.

When I collect unemployment, I’m not leeching off the working man. I was the working man. I paid into that system. I’ve probably contributed far more than I will ever collect. Social Security is not a playtime fund to be plundered. It is money that belongs to retirees. It’s not a handout.

If you think I’m living off your dime, feel free to tell me. I think I might have a few dimes to spare, and with any luck they will be heads up.

I AM the 99%.

No comments:

Post a Comment