Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Penn State and the Pedophile

I really hate to write this article. I hate what has happened here. Yes, this article is about the child sexual assault controversy at Pennsylvania State University. Penn State is one of the most revered schools, well, anywhere. One might consider PSU to be the Ivy League school of the sports colleges. Penn State has a long-living legacy in college football, and Joe Paterno, the long-serving head coach, is the face of that legacy.

What has happened there is a disgrace to mankind. Jerry Sandusky, one time the defensive coordinator of the football team, violently and viciously engaged in sexual assaults on young boys. One of the incidents was witnessed and reported, and the chain of communication failed. Either that, or the moral compass of one or more higher-ups failed.

So what we have is that one of the worst crimes imaginable has occurred in one of the best places on Earth. What has happened now is that we are having separating the heroes from the villains. Those whom we know bear direct responsibility, three people including Sandusky himself, are facing criminal charges. In the wake of this legal action, Joe Paterno has announced his retirement after six decades of service for the Nittany Lions. Did Grandpa Joe fail the PSU community, and the entire world? I don't know. I just know I'm sorry to see him go out this way. And now President Graham Spanier has announced his resignation. Was this the right thing? I don't know. I just know it's a serious shakeup, and I wonder if it really helps anyone. I feel like the one calling the shots right now is the Chairman of the Trustees. I don't know who that is.

A great institution has taken on a serious black eye. Everyone has lost here. While I feel compelled to shed a tear for the fallen legends of PSU, I remember that our greatest responsibility is to the children of the world. When I think of that, it makes me think of a ten-year-old boy, terrified in a shower stall, having a sacred innocence violently torn from him. That's who I should be crying for. That boy should be a symbol for all the horrible child rapes that have occurred in this world. The monsters who have done these things should have a special place in Hell reserved for them. Jerry Sandusky deserves a place among those monsters somewhere near the sewers. If not there, then at least we have some comfort knowing he will spend a great deal of life in similar conditions behind bars. Once there, he can have all the sex he can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment